Now that the weather is warming up, it’s time to kick it into gear and start getting back in shape for the summer. Group fitness classes are a great way to jump start your fitness journey. Body Shop is one of the many classes offered here at the Lafayette Family YMCA. If you’re looking for a fun and challenging to way tighten and tone your body, this is the class for you.
What is Body Shop?
Prepare to sweat! Body Shop consists of various exercises aimed at strengthening and toning your muscles, building your core, increasing your balance, and increasing cardio endurance. Body Shop works the entire body in a challenging, integrated, dynamic, and functional manner. Many tools for training are used such as dumbbells, resistance bands, and stability balls. No need to bring any equipment. We’ll provide that for you. You will definitely need to bring your energy and enthusiasm!
This class is perfect for all levels and ages, which is a great way to get the whole family involved. However, you must be at least 15 years old to attend unaccompanied by an adult. If you’re new to the class, you may want to consider arriving a little early to get some pointers from the instructor. If the workout gets to be too intense, the instructor can also show you modified ways of completing the exercise.
How to Succeed at Body Shop
- Set realistic goals for yourself and don’t overdo it. If you’re not quite where you want to be fitness wise, don’t worry! You’ll get there.
- When picking weights, make sure you grab the size that you can lift without overexerting your muscles.
- Be sure to bring a sweat towel, a bottle of water, comfortable workout clothes, and supportive shoes. Don’t forget to bring a friend! This is a group workout after all.
- Remember, your health and safety is the most important thing. While there will be scheduled resting intervals, if you need to stop and rest at any time, do it!
- If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, it’s important that you check with your physician regarding any health risks before joining the class.
Why Join a Group Fitness Class?
- Motivation – We all have the same goal: physical fitness. Group fitness is a great way to motivate yourself and others to push harder during a workout.
- Structure – Each class begins with a warm-up, leading into the work-out, and ending with a cool-down. You have an instructor that will coach and encourage you every step of the way. Also, you learn how to workout the proper way so you don’t injure yourself.
- Variety – If Body Shop just isn’t what you’re looking for, it’s okay! Here at the Lafayette Family YMCA, we offer a variety of fitness classes from Zumba, Tai Chi, Pilates, and more for you to choose from.
Body Shop Schedule
Location: 1950 S 18th Street Lafayette, IN 47905
Time: 5:15am – 6:15am
Room: Multi-Purpose Room
Time: 8:30am – 9:30am
Room: Aerobics Room
Here at the Lafayette Family YMCA we’re more than just a fitness center, we’re a community and family. If you want to learn more about our group fitness classes and other programs we offer, feel free to drop in or give us a call!