Now that you have taken advantage of our Member get a Member opportunity and added to your workout friend circle by 1, why not take the next step and increase your workout friend circle by joining a group fitness class?
Let’s be honest, working out can be awkward, especially if you’re by yourself or don’t know what you’re doing. It’s tempting to avoid any public judgement by staying inside and jumping around to videos of Richard Simmons and Jillian Michaels. There’s a better way! Group fitness classes allow us to exhibit our inner superstars without worrying about ridicule from others. We’re all in this together.
Three Reasons to put on Your Gym Shorts and come to the Y
Give yourself some motivation. One of my biggest excuses for not going to the gym is that I’m “too busy,” but really I’m just lazy. I’m more likely to go if I know that someone – or a whole room of someones – is holding me accountable. Not only are group fitness classes fun, they’re also a great venue for making new friends, a way to keep yourself on schedule and push yourself farther than if you were exercising alone.
Shake it up. The high-energy environment of a kick-boxing class is not for everyone, just like some people don’t have the patience for yoga. That’s totally ok. Group fitness classes allow for flexibility with your workout wants and needs. Pick whichever classes work best for you. Go to the same class on a weekly basis or fit in a class whenever your schedule allows. Remember you’ve got lots of options and keep your mind open to trying something new. You might love it!
Take advantage of an instructor. Possibly the best part about group fitness classes is that there is no experience required. An experienced instructor will walk you through all the steps needed for a good workout, while also having a ton of fun. You don’t have to worry about looking goofy because the instructor is telling you what to do. Just follow along and have fun! “And a 5, 6, 7, 8!”
What’s your favorite?
The Y offers multiple group fitness opportunities. Which one sounds right for you? Better yet, try them all! They’re free to all members!
- BODYCOMBAT – fight fat and kick calories
- BODYPUMP – buddies and barbells
- BODYATTACK – sports-inspired cardio
- BODYVIVE – low-impact and easily adjustable to your own goals
- BODYFLOW – Yoga, Pilates, AND Tai Chi
- RPM – stationary bike your way through adventurous terrains
- CXWORX – strengthen your core
- Pilates – 29 strengthening mat exercises
- Power Hour – high intensity cross training
- Step – a fun class to step-up your cardio
- Body Shop – get sculpted through strength, balance, and functional training
- Zumba – fun, easy-to-follow dancing
- Hi/Lo – adjustable to your fitness level
- Silver Sneakers Muscular Strength and Range of Motion – stay young and mobile
- Fit 4 Life – socialize while energizing
Join a group fitness class today. The schedule for group fitness classes is updated monthly, so check the website, or visit the front desk today.